I arrived in Busan at 9pm last night and was sooooo happy to see Sarah and Jin waiting for me! Such a relief after 24 hrs of traveling! Also, without Jin, I have NO idea how i would have found my school or apartment...(must learn Korean)...
Side note: Japan Airlines has the BEST food out of any airline. I had chicken teriyaki for lunch and pasta for dinner with noodles as a snack later. LOVED it.
Ok, so my apartment, smallest thing I have ever seen in my life! I am debating whether I should ask to pay a little extra for a bigger place. However, the location is soooo perfect. Downstairs is a Starbucks and Paris Baguette (a Korean bakery chain). Across the street is Baskin Robbins and lots of Korean restaurants. Maybe I'm just in shock from everything being oversized in America...
Trying to find the place was really funny. We went into the wrong building at first and although and ended up in an elevator that opened directly into a mini golf area.... cue Sarah and me dying of laughter...
My school: I think I am in love already! I get 6 little babies :) they are between 4-5 actual American age. 2 boys and 4 girls! Their names? Star and Solomon for the boys and Annie and Quinn for the girls so far (I got to name Quinn which actually turned out to be a bigger challenge than I thought). The other girls don't have English names yet because one girl couldn't decide and the other one wasn't there today.
I get to teach 5 40 minute classes but they will alternate between English, Science, Math, PE, and anything else I can squeeze in there. I'm soooo happy that I get to teach more than just English :)
So, since they are babies, they do not speak ANY English whatsoever. I couldn't even get a "hi" or "bye" today from them. They kind of just stared at me and Quinn and Solomon managed to mutter a few Korean sentences. It was only orientation today and I'm so excited. They have completely unformed (English-speaking) minds and its so cool knowing that by the end of the year (if I am a good teacher) they will be able to communicate in another language. Most haven't been in any other kindergarten before so its very exciting for all of us.
I will write volumes more later I'm sure (with pics I promise!) but for now I'm off to E-mart to try to buy some stuff for the apartment. Oh, and I have to figure out my shower problem. I don't get hot water yet... talking to the apartment manager who I'm sure doesn't speak English should be a real adventure :)
Side note: Japan Airlines has the BEST food out of any airline. I had chicken teriyaki for lunch and pasta for dinner with noodles as a snack later. LOVED it.
Ok, so my apartment, smallest thing I have ever seen in my life! I am debating whether I should ask to pay a little extra for a bigger place. However, the location is soooo perfect. Downstairs is a Starbucks and Paris Baguette (a Korean bakery chain). Across the street is Baskin Robbins and lots of Korean restaurants. Maybe I'm just in shock from everything being oversized in America...
Trying to find the place was really funny. We went into the wrong building at first and although and ended up in an elevator that opened directly into a mini golf area.... cue Sarah and me dying of laughter...
My school: I think I am in love already! I get 6 little babies :) they are between 4-5 actual American age. 2 boys and 4 girls! Their names? Star and Solomon for the boys and Annie and Quinn for the girls so far (I got to name Quinn which actually turned out to be a bigger challenge than I thought). The other girls don't have English names yet because one girl couldn't decide and the other one wasn't there today.
I get to teach 5 40 minute classes but they will alternate between English, Science, Math, PE, and anything else I can squeeze in there. I'm soooo happy that I get to teach more than just English :)
So, since they are babies, they do not speak ANY English whatsoever. I couldn't even get a "hi" or "bye" today from them. They kind of just stared at me and Quinn and Solomon managed to mutter a few Korean sentences. It was only orientation today and I'm so excited. They have completely unformed (English-speaking) minds and its so cool knowing that by the end of the year (if I am a good teacher) they will be able to communicate in another language. Most haven't been in any other kindergarten before so its very exciting for all of us.
I will write volumes more later I'm sure (with pics I promise!) but for now I'm off to E-mart to try to buy some stuff for the apartment. Oh, and I have to figure out my shower problem. I don't get hot water yet... talking to the apartment manager who I'm sure doesn't speak English should be a real adventure :)
No comments:
Post a Comment