Saturday, February 12, 2011

Home Plus : Korea's Fred Meyer

Ok, so I have had no time to go shopping for anything since I have been here. Saturday is a welcome break and opportunity to get some things for my apartment, oh ya and some food, so I don't have to live off ramen from 7/11 anymore. Velinda, a teacher at my school from New York, met up with me and generously helped me go shopping at "Home Plus" which is a huge store with everything in it. It is about a 15 minute walk from my house, a walk that goes by quite fast. On the way there I saw 2 boys holding hands. Koreans are quite strange abut showing affection to the opposite sex, but it is very common to have boys holding their friend's hand and girls the same. I actually find this to be quite sweet and wish the west could be more open to this, as I know two teenage boys in Illinois would never hold hands. Anyway, I digress, we made our way into the huge building that is Home Plus. It also has restaurants on the outside and little jewelry/accessory vendors in the middle, kind of similar to a mall.

We got a cart, which moves not only forward and background, but also side to side. So that is fun to control in the mad house of Home Plus on a Saturday. Anyway, my first mission was to find sheets to cover my mattress, not seen as a necessity here. They had literally one package of sheets. Literally ONE. I will be sending away for sheets. I also bought another pillow because I enjoy multiple pillows. Everything was in Korean so I had no idea what the difference between all of them were but I picked this one because of the English description, which made no sense, but I am sure you'll find the humor:

Before you ask, I don't know what cervical vertebrae means. Or what Buckwheat has to do with it.

Anyway, I finished up the shopping, and by finished up I mean I was in there for probably around 2 hours. Along with some normal groceries, I decided to try out the ever so famous Korean seafood pancakes, I'm assuming they are like latkes, but with seafood.

After I checked out, which was a little frightening cause you bag your own groceries, (I always feel like I am holding up some old Korean lady in a rush) we were on our way. I couldn't resist the temptation of looking at all of the sparkly, bling bling, glittery accessories from the vendors. They were calling my name, or at least I think they were, I don't know, maybe they were just yelling "hello" in Korean. I don't speak Korean. I ended up buying some amazing headbands and a hair clip:
Successful Saturday here in Busan. I conquered the mountain of Home Plus on a Saturday and came out alive at the other end with some good buys. My mission for tomorrow is to learn how to recycle in Korea, they're a bit "specific." And also to take some pictures of my neighborhood. Miss everyone still...especially M-lar. Come quickly. So much to show you.

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment